• Add to Technorati Favorites

  • Creative Commons License
    This work by Amy Watson of Amy W. Designs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
    Add Snippets

    Thursday, April 19, 2007

    Don't mess with our chocolate!

    Okay ladies have you heard what they're trying to do in the U.S.? They are trying to mess with our chocolate. Some U.S. maunfacturers have a petition in to the FDA to lower the industry's "chocolate idenity standards" on what can be termed chocolate, so they can make cheaper and lower quality products- by making chocolate without cocoa butter(instead using veg oil and trans fats) and using milk substitutes in "milk chocolate".

    Can I just say ewh? And if it is approved they can label these inferior products as chocolate so you won't be able to tell the difference without reading the ingredients label.

    The FDA will accept comment thru 4/25 so please if you care about your chocolate go let them know! Go to dontmesswithourchocolate.com to read more about it.

    Or read this article on it. Sums it up better than I can: Hands off my chocolate, FDA!

    Here's the FDA petition info: 2007P-0085: Adopt Regulations of General Applicability to All Food Standards that Would Permit, Within Stated Boundaries, Deviations from the Requirements of the Individual Food Standards of Identity
    To submit a comment to the FDA on this click here. *Include the docket number: 2007P-0085
    (For step by step instructions on submitting a comment, with photos, look here- They also have a copy and paste letter that makes commenting so much easier.)

    Come on ladies, you know we need to fight for our chocolate!!!!

    Comments on "Don't mess with our chocolate!"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:45 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    Amers - Why are you acting sexist? How come only ladies are being invited to protest lowering the standards for chocolate? I am going to tell your mother about this!

    Love Dadoo

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    Wow - I thought they already were doing this...some of the stuff they call "chocolate" is pretty pathetic!

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:58 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    I was outraged! THe govt seems to look for reasons to drive the middle class working people crazy!! I e-mailed that info to the teachers at my school and hopefully they will forward it themselves to others and lots will poo-poo this stupid proposal! I agree there is enough crappy tasting chocolate out there already!

     

    Blogger Muka said ... (7:19 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    *please excuse my horrified, outraged, astonished self while I attempt to scrape my jaw off the floor*

     

    Blogger Muka said ... (7:19 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    *please excuse my horrified, outraged, astonished self while I attempt to scrape my jaw off the floor*

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:24 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    What are they thinking...about the chocolate! There are some days when you need some good chocolate. Do they realize how many lives (and backsides) they are risking by messing with the delicate feel-good balance that we call chocolate? Thank you for alerting us to this tragedy! (and thank you for the freebie links as well...I appreciate all of your hard work!)

     

    Blogger The Angry Intern said ... (9:25 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    I commented on the FDA site... screw these big corporations doing something like this to make even more money than they already are. I'd say the chocolate industry already makes a pretty fair amount, especially around the holidays.

     

    Blogger jburkhart said ... (10:04 PM, April 19, 2007) : 

    How dare they.....I love my chocolate!!!!! Thanks for the heads up....gonna go read and comment over there!
    P.S....Love Dadoo's comments...he's too funny!

     

    post a comment