• Add to Technorati Favorites

  • Creative Commons License
    This work by Amy Watson of Amy W. Designs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
    Add Snippets

    Sunday, December 28, 2008

    A New Year Resolution

    It's that time of year again for us all to make a New Year's resolution. This year I've been looking at my resolution from a different angle and I hope it'll help me keep it.
    How often do we make our resolutions but don't follow through?
    How often are our resolutions just about ourselves?

    The Sunday School lesson I lead today we discussed Luke 3:7-18 and how to keep your resolutions. There is a wonderful lesson on this written by L.G. Parkhurst, Jr that I used to guide our discussion today (See it HERE if you want to know more.) but the two things that really stuck out at me were:

    Bear fruits worthy of repentance. (Luke 3:8)
    &
    Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none, and whoever has food must do likewise. (Luke 3:11)

    I used these two quotes to guide my resolution this year. Being worthy of repentance; to make my resolution this year not just about stopping a bad behavior or doing something small, but to make a big change. To replace a bad habit with something else, something good to help others. We all think about donating during the holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas but now January is almost here. Does that mean we stop giving? How many of us got a coat, jacket, sweater or sweatshirt for Christmas? Maybe a new hat or set of gloves? Are you going to donate an older one from your closet to someone in need?

    I got both a new sweatshirt and a new jacket for Christmas and if I hadn't read this passage for Sunday school I would probably just crammed them into my closet with the rest of them. Instead I talked with my Sunday school class about starting now for our Church's Community Christmas supper next year. We gave those who came canned food this year to take away with them but no warm clothes after we fed them their supper. So we've decided that if we start now (collecting warm clothes, jackets, hats and gloves, maybe even blankets) that by next Christmas hopefully we'll be able to send everyone who comes to church home with something warm and lasting. We also resolved to try to bring in canned goods for the homeless shelter and the soup kitchen at least twice a month (we'd go for every week but we all forget sometimes and we need something to work for in 2010.). We're hoping that by resolving to do this as a class we can keep it going and help each other keep this resolution for the whole year, all while helping our community at the same time.

    How wonderful would this world be if everyone took this bible quote to heart the world around. What a different place this would be to live. We're just talking about warm clothes and food for those who live in your community. Would you like to join me and my Sunday School class in our New Year's resolution? Remember those people are still in need even if the holiday season is wrapping up. Donate year round and not just when carols fill the air, to make this world a little better for everyone.
    _________________________________________________________________

    And to help you scrap your resolutions check out Kim B.s gorgeous new kit Time Anew!!!
    It's on sale!
    And she has a cute little add-on on her blog HERE!
    (Technically there's all kinds of goodies made from this kit by her CT too, scroll down thru Kim's blog to find all the links.)

    Here's a few Emma Christmas photos from our house for you to see:
    Emma Christmas morning.

    On her new Dora scooter!

    Hungry, Hungery Hippo with Daddy and MeMaw.

    Happy New Year everyone!

    Comments on "A New Year Resolution"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM, December 29, 2008) : 

    Oooh! She's unwrapping a prezzie from Nana/Aunta in the first picture. And then she's wearing the scarf Nana crocheted her while riding the scooter PawPaw and Nana gave her in the second. I feel the love!

     

    Blogger Cheryl said ... (2:57 PM, December 29, 2008) : 

    Amazing New Year's Resolution! I'm going to twitter it!

     

    Blogger VJ's Scrap Room said ... (8:08 AM, December 31, 2008) : 

    Wonderful resolution!! I use to buy Christmas presents early so it wouldn't be so hard when the time came for passing them out and you would be surprised how much easier it is to get a little at a time.Same with the giving.A little here and there really add up.:)Hope you have many followers!
    Emma is really growing up.I know I say that almost every time I see pics of her..but it's true.How cute!
    Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas and I hope you have a fantastic New Year!:)

    Hugs,
    Valinda

     

    Blogger Kim B said ... (2:30 AM, January 04, 2009) : 

    HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and the family Amers! And I LOVE your New Years Resolution! I think it's a BRILLIANT idea to carry through and it's not a hard one to keep either ;-)

    As for me- I don't make em- lol, I think I just make the new year a CLEAN PAGE and hope to fill it with the best I got for that year.
    Sending huge hugs to you and the fam

    MWAH

     

    post a comment